Sunday 13 January 2013

Start with a healthy treat

When I opened my new lesson from Daily OM today, I was a bit sad, because I am almost half way done my 21 day yoga body transformation course. This is how much I love it. I have been incorporating the little changes Sadie Nardini suggests and: guess what?! It was completely effortless.
Other than drinking 2.5 liters of infusion water a day (I have come up with some really tasty and pretty looking creations, photos will be posted shortly) I finally have an alternative to smoothies in the morning: whole wheat healthy muffins.
I made the second batch of healthy breakfast muffins today. I made minor changes to Sadie's recipe, I used frozen raspberries rather than fresh blueberries and I used 100% whole wheat flour where Sadie suggests half white, half whole. I also added some lemon zest, because I like the taste. Here is my slightly changed recipe for 12 muffins.

1 1/2 cups (165 g) of oat bran (substitute with wheat bran)
1 cup (250 ml) non-fat milk
1/2 cup (100 g) unsweetened apple sauce
1 egg
zest of 1 lemon
1/4 cup (40 g) ground flaxseed
2/3 cups (125 g) of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup (140 g) whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups (240 g) frozen raspberries (Sadie suggests 1 cup or 190 g blueberries)
  • Preheat oven to 375 F/190 C
  • Grease muffin pan or use paper liners.
  • In a bowl mix bran and milk and let stand for 10 minutes 
  • In a second bowl mix together egg, apple sauce, brown sugar and vanilla, then blend with the bran mix. 
  • In a third bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt, then add ground flaxseed. Stir the flour and flaxseed mix into the bran mix. Do not over beat. Mix the lemon zest with your berries first, then blend the fruit in with the dough. Scoop into muffin cups.
The muffins should be ready in 20-25 minutes. Sadie suggests to freeze them individually and pop them in the microwave oven in the morning to have a tasty breakfast. However, V. liked them a lot so that, between the two of us, they did not last a very long time. I made another batch today and I cannot wait to try them tomorrow morning - although... I was already told they were tasty!





No comments:

Post a Comment